Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Look what i did on Saturday!

I had been really tired of this ugly old brick wall. It makes the room so dark and it really dates the house. So I got oodles of paint-swabs and finally narrowed it down to two. Saturday was the day to start. Sam helped with the prep and then left to do some shopping and I got busy with the paintbrush. The first results were rather frightening, as it looked terrible and I started contemplating how to get it all scraped off. But then I took the small paintbrush to all the grout-lines and colored them in as well.... much better!

Then at the end I dabbed the whole wall with the darker paint and it looked really nice. Even Sam liked it.

We decided that we didn't like where the TV was, high up on the mantle. So he went out and got a little TV stand for it. It looks lots better there, and the picture is so much better too, since it is a flat screen.
Here is the finished project, all nicely tidied up. We are quite happy with it. The room looks so much lighter now. Next step: a new gas fireplace insert, but that might take a little longer.

A few weeks ago, Sam came home with this contraption for Max. He finally decided that it is rather comfy to sleep in now and then.

I really scrubbed and desinfected the fountain, because Max prefers running water, he always wants us to turn on the tub faucet for him, so now that it is clean, it's Max's favorite place to get a drink.
When we were taking down the last of the Christmas decorations, Max and Sebastian knew immediately what would make them look best:

Okay, all you cute family who might read this, it is no fun to post blogs and only get 2 measly comments. If you want me to continue this, you better leave a comment, or I am done.

13 comments:

Mythreesons said...

Wow! I have to admit I was very very worried about what you were undertaking... painting brick sounds scary. But it looks great! The two tone gives it a lot of depth and from the pictures, it looks fantastic! Go mom! I love that you're never scared to take on a project like that. I'll call you once Jared leaves and we can redo my entire bathroom.
And I'm loving the fountain for Max. Good thing you have running water in your house, eh?
Love you mum!

Super Daysh said...

WOW indeed! The fireplace looks soooo good! I honestly think so!! Go you!!

Super Daysh said...

The paint job and everything just turned out really nice. Way to go you! Now I know what you do with all the free time of yours...

Super Daysh said...

You paint fireplaces and take pictures of your cat! He is so cute by the way. I wish I could get a kitty too. You know, my birthday is coming up here next month...Just a thought. :)

Super Daysh said...

Now you can't say that you only get 2 lousy comments. I left you four!! Love you mommy! Please keep up the blogs! More pictures! :)

princess jen said...

Yay for Bibi blogs!! I love it! Your fireplace looks incredible. I love how it turned out and I can't wait to see it in person. I'm really happy that Max likes your fountain so much too. Now you can't get upset when the grandkids play in it too :) Love you!!

Sara and Company said...

That looks fantastic! Made such a difference. I bet you love it! I'm always so scared to do things like that, but in the end, so worth it!

The Andersens said...

i really was worried about you painting the fireplace brick! that sounded weird...and difficult...but it really does look great! way to go you! look and you and your bad self. so impressive. emily's right. you really do have no fear when it comes to taking on projects.
remember my play in High School when we painted all the scenery panels?? that was so fun.
you are so awesome.
max is so cute!! i love him drinking out of the fountain!!
love you so much!!!
please keep blogging!! i love reading them!

Coil Fam said...

I love it! I love how you took pictures before, during and after too. I want to know how long Sam was gone shopping? Did you have it all finished when he got home?

Sorry we missed you Sunday. We always have a hard time catching you two at home. Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Lady of the Rings said...

Well look at that, 9 comments, thanks to Dacia.... thank you, thank you, maybe I'll keep blogging then.

rodent said...

The fireplace looks amazing - I like that cat is helping in typical cat fashion. Those cats are incredibly beautiful and they certainly seem to be full of personality - the best type of cat. I love that he wants only running water, that's just too funny. I hope all is well.

Thoughtful Runner said...

Hmmmmm.....I'm trying to remember if I ever was gone and came back to find something newly painted. Wasn't there a green door somewhere in my past?

Kandi said...

Those cats are so stinkin' cute! I've always wanted cats kinda like those ones. The fireplace looks really nice too. :)